I am highly delighted to welcome you all to the official commissioning of the acquired and renovated North East Zonal Office of FIIRO in Yola, Adamawa State, ‘’the Land of Beauty’’. I would like to specially welcome the Honourable Minister of Innovation, Science and Technology, Chief Uche Geoffrey Nnaji, ably represented by Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Innovation, Science and Technology, Mrs. Esuabana Nko Asanye. Thank you for providing enabling environment for us to thrive.
The directors at FIIRO here present, the training coordinators from Redeemed Christians Church of God, the distinguished participants, distinguished members of the press, ladies and gentlemen.
I am delighted to welcome you all to the opening ceremony of the technology transfer training on Cassava bread baking and confectioneries production for youth and women economic empowerment in collaboration with the Redeemed Christians Church of God. starting today Wednesday, 24th January, 2024.
I am quite sure that some of us may be hearing about the Institute for the first time. For this reason it would be my pleasure to briefly introduce the Institute to you. The Institute has a broad mandate to conduct research and development into utilization of indigenous raw materials to promote rapid industrialization of the nation for socioeconomic development through the development and promotion of micro, small, medium and large enterprises.
It fills me with immense joy to address you on this momentous occasion of commissioning the newly acquired and renovated FIIRO South East Zonal Office in Enugu, Enugu State. As the Innovation, Science, and Technology Sector steward, I am committed to translating our promises into tangible actions, ensuring a conducive work environment for our esteemed and dedicated personnel.
First and foremost, I thank the Almighty God for guiding us in achieving this milestone. Under the exemplary leadership of Dr. (Mrs.) Jummai T. Adamu, FIIRO's Director-General/CEO, FIIRO has made remarkable progress in infrastructural development within a relatively short period. Dr. Adamu's unwavering dedication to fulfilling the agency's mandates is commendable, which is evident in initiatives such as this office facility that prioritize the welfare and comfort of our staff members. Her commitment resonates with the Renewed Hope Agenda of our esteemed President, Bola Ahmed Tinubu, GCFR.
Distinguished guests, Nigeria's economic prosperity hinges on harnessing our abundant indigenous talents and raw materials to drive technological innovation. Our nation is blessed with diverse skills and natural resources across all six geopolitical zones, motivating us to extend development beyond urban centres to rural communities. Since innovation is the cornerstone of global economic growth, neglecting it jeopardizes our socio-economic progress. Therefore, we must prioritize the development of innovative technologies to propel Nigeria's economic diversification away from oil and gas dependency.
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu's Renewed Hope Agenda is committed to leveraging innovation, science, and technology to combat hunger and poverty in Nigeria. This stance rhymes with the global economic landscape, emphasizing innovation as the key to development and compelling us not to lag behind. To this end, the Ministry has recently revised the National Science, Technology, and Innovation Policy (2022) and developed additional policies to accelerate technological advancement.
As you know, our vision to industrialize Nigeria through Innovation, Science, and Technology has led to the establishment of Technology and Innovation Centers across the six geopolitical zones and Technology Incubation Centers in all states. These facilities serve as hubs for stakeholders in the IST ecosystem to foster global competitiveness by harnessing mineral and human resources. Furthermore, our commitment to indigenous technology is evident in our support for establishing Centers of Excellence for Welding Engineering and Technology, aimed at enhancing collaboration between the government and the private sector to drive development in the industry.
The Southeast region holds significant importance as Nigeria's industrial hub, motivating the provision of this office facility to support capacity building and enhance productivity through innovative activities.
Once again, I sincerely congratulate the indefatigable Director-General/CEO of FIIRO and her dedicated team. Your resilience and commitment to excellence are truly commendable. I also urge the staff to maintain and preserve this facility to ensure its longevity.
With gratitude, I now commission this newly acquired and renovated South East Zonal Office on this memorable Tuesday, 20th February 2024, to serve the glory of God and humanity.
Thank you, and God bless Nigeria.
His Excellency, Chief Uche Nnaji
Federal Ministry of Innovation, Science and Technology
Federal institute of industrial research, Oshodi (FIIRO) was set up to promote technological activities and industrialization of the national economy through research and development. Over the years, the institute has made considerable contribution through processing of local raw materials into new products and improvements on indigenous technologies for the growth of the micro, small and medium enterprises.
The Institute have the broad mandate of accelerating industrialization in Nigeria and have over the years developed technologies that have promoted the ideals of entrepreneurship development to assist in accelerating the industrialization of the Nigeria economy through finding utilization for the countries raw materials and upgrading indigenous production technologies. This is national association of technologies in engineering (NATE) area of interest.
FIIRO’s desire to industrialized Nigeria in agro-processing area inspired the institute to organize fabrication workshop/forum each year to discuss challenges facing equipment design and fabrication in Nigeria and also to show case technologies of fabricators to Nigeria. To this end, over the year, we have developed equipment for processing some of our local raw materials. To solve specific problem such as MOCAPI in collaboration with GIZ, Cassava Compact Truck with IITA Ibadan and 10KVA steam turbine with Pyrogenesys (UK).
national association of technologies in engineering’s (NATE) members in FIIRO have continued to distinguish themselves as worthy ambassador of your professional body in helping to translate our research findings into ready to invest prototype equipment and processing lines and their contributions are even more urgently required now in my drive for the rapid commercialization of our research results. This, I believe is the only way to fast track SME development in our country and make research relevant.
The relationship between FIIRO and NATE has grown over the years and has become mutual and we still want to partner with NATE in the areas of vocational training of welders, fabricators, artisans and technicians using the facilities available in the institute as this will have a multiplier effect on the economy of Nigeria.
On this note, I warmly welcome you to the institute and wish you a fruitful stay and look forward to greater collaboration with your professional body in the future.
It is with great pleasure that I welcome you all to this propitious occasion of the commissioning of the Acquisition and renovated FIIRO South West Zonal office located in this great city of Akure, Ondo State. It is important to state that productivity of personnel is mostly tie to befitting work environment, which is crucial to development. We were formerly located at the Federal Secretariat Complex, Akure, and we want to sincerely appreciate the Federal Government, the Government and Good People of Ondo State, for the gesture of accommodating us all these years. The commissioning of this edifice is a special one as the South West Zonal office is being presented with the state-of-the-art, functional, and befitting workplace that would spur scientific revolution in this great region of the nation.
- Invited Guest, Ladies and Gentlemen, I would like to particularly welcome the present day father of Innovation in Nigeria, the Honourable Minister of Innovation, Science and Technology, Chief Uche Geoffrey Nnaji, whose support and commitment led to the provision of this edifice that would engender and fast-track socio-economic development of our nation. It is a fact that the economy of this nation is begging for the utilization of the Innovation, Science and Technology apparatus to enable its transition from consumption to production. I would like to welcome all other dignitaries here present, Directors of the Federal Ministry of Innovation, Science and Technology, my workaholic Management and staff of FIIRO, who made this programme a success.
- It is pertinent to inform that FIIRO has Zonal Offices in the Six Geopolitical Zones of the country, with the sole aim of carrying R&D activities to the grass root level so as to utilize all the available raw materials across the country. Since the inception of these zonal offices, it is important to state that a lot have been achieved in the development of products and technologies that are very important in our quest to be recognized as one of the developed nations of the world, driven by innovation.
- Ladies and Gentlemen, you will agree with me that provision of befitting office space is imperative in the conduct of Business Meetings, Researches, Administration and also serves as an area for employees to work professionally with good image and making organizations look more credible in the eyes of the public. Its further helps organizations build strong brand presence for ease of identification by customers, which could offer unique blend of flexibility, comfort, and modern design that is perfect for customers and organizations. It is with sincerity of purpose that this building was Acquired and renovated in 2023, and today we are witnessing its commissioning. I like to inform you that plans are concluded to commission similar Zonal Offices of the Institute in Enugu, Enugu State and Yola, Adamawa State, respectively.
- At this juncture, it is worthy to note that since the inception of the Agency in 1953, we are vigorously pursuing our vision and mission statements which are “to be the foremost Centre for Science and Technology-based Research and Development for the industrialization and socio-economic advancement of the nation and conduct and promote market-driven research and development (R&D) for the industrialization and socio-economic development of the country”, respectively, It is noteworthy of mention that we have developed over two hundred and fifty (250) products, goods and services through the efforts of the dedicated and diligent Staff of the Institute in the last few years.
- It is with great pleasure and sense of responsibility to inform you that this project was achieved based on the love, dedication, support and commitment of the Honourable Minister of Innovation, Science and Technology Chief Uche Geoffrey Nnaji towards the regeneration of the Nigerian Science and Technology sector, as well as the attention given by the Federal Government of Nigeria in encouraging and supporting application of science and technology tools in tackling technological challenges bedeviling the country.
- On this note, I thank the Contractors, Niphemy Solutions Ltd, who did justice to this renovation work and my able and dependable team of Engineers from FIIRO, who worked tirelessly in providing supervisory role during the renovation process. Distinguished Ladies and Gentlemen, other invited Guests, I wish to sincerely thank you for gracing this occasion and may the Lord Almighty bless you.
- Distinguished Guests, Ladies and Gentlemen, we would like to on behalf of the Honourable Minister of Innovation, Science and Technology, Chief Uche Geoffrey Nnaji, the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry Innovation, Science and Technology, Mrs Esuabana Nko Asanye, my dedicated, diligent and responsive team from FIIRO, welcome you to this memorable occasion.
Thanks and God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria
DR. (MRS.) JUMMAI A. TUTUWA
On behalf of the management and the entire staff of the Institute, it is with great pleasure that I welcome you all to the institute. As one of our major stakeholders, to say I am delighted to host you is to say the least.
This courtesy visit is taking place at this time when the Federal Government has identified diversification of the economy through increasing industrial production capacities of our small, medium and large enterprises to meet local demand and for export to generate the much needed foreign exchange. This is the time the Federal Government is looking inward into our national research centers to power industrial development through investment in indigenous technologies as viable option for the economy growth.
There is no gainsaying that without the effective application of innovations and research breakthroughs, we cannot take full advantage of the extensive array of raw materials available in our country. I am certain that with SMEs taking utmost advantage of the available raw materials which FIIRO has extensively conducted research on, economic diversification would be at an accelerated rate.
The need for the Institute’s continuous collaboration with NASME cannot be over emphasized. The institute needs this collaboration to achieve its mandate which is to assist in accelerating the pace of industrialization of Nigeria. The Institute has completely packaged over 100 of these technologies with readily available pre-feasibility reports making the technologies ready for immediate commercialization.
The Institute is in partnership with some international and national organizations. Such organizations include United Nations Industrial Development Organizations (UNIDO), Bank of Industry (BOI) and Bank of Agriculture (BOA). SMAEs stand to benefit a lot from our experience in SMEs development with these organizations. This could be through knowledge sharing and provision of information on financial succor for both startups and existing businesses. FIIRO/NASME partnership is a worthy relationship and would continue to be so.
Thank you and God bless you all.
I am indeed very happy today to welcome you all to this auspicious occasion of the official Commissioning and Handing over of the established Modern Integrated Cassava Processing Plant in the Ancient City of Uke, Karu Local Government Area, Nasarawa State. This development is a clear indication of our commitment towards ensuring the utilization of our R&D products for improved quality of lives of the citizenry and as well demonstrates the fact that Technology rules every sphere of advancement worldwide.
FIIRO is making giant strides in it's collaboration efforts with relevant organizations and institutions that could make positive contributions to achieve her mandate.
It is on this premise that the Institute received on courtesy visit the newly elected Executives and some Board members of the Nigerian Society of Chemical Engineers on the 5th of May, 2023.
The DG/CEO FIIRO Dr (Mrs) Jummai Adamu Tutuwa ably assisted by the Committee of Directors at FIIRO received the Executives of the Society at FIIRO Conference Room.
The DG in her welcome speech enumerated the importance of collaboration to include cost saving through sharing of research facilities; development of joint research proposals, joint patenting among others.
She expressed her delight to work with the Society after identifying some key ongoing research projects at FIIRO with Chemical Engineers as Principal Investigators.
The DG/CEO later asked the Director Extension and Linkage, Dr. Dele Oyeku to throw more light on FIIRO collaboration activities including history, success stories and collaboration philosophy of the Institute.
Engr Anthony Ogbuigwe, the National President of the Nigerian Society of Chemical Engineers had on his entourage Engr Anthony Ogheneovo (Executive Secretary), Engr. Olarewaju-Alo Olumuyiwa (Deputy National President), Dr N. John Erinne (Board Member) and Engr Onyeka Okonkwo (Board Member).
The National President could not contain his joy for the opportunity to work with FIIRO under his leadership of the Society. He said he did his internship at FIIRO in 1974 as a Student of Chemical Engineering at the University of Lagos.
Some areas highlighted for collaboration include: joint research on projects of mutual benefits, commercialization of R&D projects through some Business Membership Organizations (BMOs) such as Manufacturers' Association of Nigeria (MAN), National Association of Small Scale Industrialists (NASSI), etc.
To move the collaboration forward, it was agreed that a small committee be set up to coordinate the activities of the collaboration.
A group photograph was taken and the program came to an end on a very good note after signing the Institute's Visitor's Book.
Page 1 of 9